[I wrote this post on Wednesday, 22nd October but could not post due to blessing of KESC]
Today, I received email from Mr. Waseem stating that UIT Alumni Dinner 2008 has been postponed till further notice. Well, if someone asks my feeling then there is nothing except sadness.
- I got a call from Mr. Waseem and he informed me about UIT Alumni Gathering. I was so pleased and ensure my cooperation. We discussed about Sponsorship but I stated my point of view clearly that it is not possible for an inactive forum (I remember how I was able to get 0.45 million sponsorship from industry for our event UTECH).
- We got invitation of Alumni Dinner via email. I talked with my seniors, fellows and juniors; everyone was excited.
- Soon, sadly, we got another email with stating that Rs.1,000/- as Alumni Annual charges and somehow a constraint in order to attend this dinner. i.e. Rs.1,000/- for dinner.
- Due to this, people become furious and they reacted oppositely
- A chain of email including views, suggestions and proposals.
- Finally, we got another email for postponed event.
- Everyone was excited for gathering, not for dinner. I think the people at UIT didn't earn this point.
- Rs.1,000/- for a year, i.e. around Rs.84/- per month. Obviously, it is not a big deal for any alumnus but everyone considered it as charges for dinner for which they invited (do you ask money from your guest?)
- People floated different suggestion and proposals. Basically, everyone felt wrong execution plan for Annual fee; such announcement after or in dinner could change the entire scene.
- People also showed their concerns that there is no proper plans or management exists for Alumni, therefore we first gather to do so and then ask people for annual charges.
- People also felt that UIT needs this money in order to arrange this Alumni Dinner, like Farewell dinner and this is shameful.
What should to do now?
- UIT Management must realize this fact that an active alumnus is always beneficial for institution not for alumna.
- Periodic get-togethers (I am not asking for dinner!) should be organized. At least three such gathering should be schedule and announce. This is the only way to activate this forum.
- We sit together and agreed on future plans for Alumni (at least for next 6 months). At this stage we can propose the ideas for raising funds.